Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Harry Potter Mania...


(Warning: May contain some hints about the Deathly Hollows ending. So if you haven't read the last book yet, don't read this blog)

I know that when they release the Harry Potter Deathly Hollows, I will be in Dubai, so a month before the release, I asked Toni to pre order one for me. Which I thought was needed. But I guess Harry Potter isn't that famous in Dubai. There were still loads of books on the shelves when we went to pick up mine. Anyways, flash back to 3 months ago, I invited Ria's Scottish classmate Nathan, his sister Erin and mom Christine to watch the Harry Potter movies at home. Whilst I haven't read any of the Potter books, but have seen all first 4 movies, Christine have read all 6 books but have not seen any of the movies. We started talking about the story of Harry and I started asking questions about some plots that are quite mind boggling. And she advised me to read the books. Which I did. The following day, I went to the bookstore and found the first 4 books, and I bought them all. Read the Philosophers Stone in 18hours, Secret of Chambers for about 22hours, Prisoner of Azkaban for about 20 hours, Goblet of Fire for about 24hours straight. I read the books while I cooked, while I ate, and while I did number 2. I was just fascinated by Harry's world and his life. I certainly cried and laughed. Rowling was amazingly good, to be able to describe vividly the world that has long since been featured in Discovery Channel if it is true. (I still won't believe it anyhow)But still, it has given me a great amount of pleasure. While I waited for the Order of the Phoenix to be available in the Tampere bookstore, I checked some websites about Harry Potter, and man! there were loads of em. Can't believe people really put forth so much energy and time debating and scrutinizing every aspect of this book. After I finished the Half Blood Prince, (I bought the children edition first while I waited for the UK classic black covers) I knew I have to get a hold of the last book even if Toni kicks my ass for it. And, I had turned my friend Katsu into a Harry Potter fanatic as well. So, 2 days after the release of the book, I am truly satisfied with the ending. But I know that my inner child is craving for more. I will definitely wait for the Encyclopedia that Rowling will publish after her holidays.

The part where Harry was walking towards Aragogs cave to offer himself to Voldemort where he was accompanied by the ghosts of his mom, dad, Sirius, and Remus, really made me cry. And as Hagrid being the one to carry the then-know-to-be-lifeless body of Harry was a heartfelt scene. For Hagrid was the one who introduced Harry to the wizarding world and kinda became his watcher.

After reading that Severus actually was on the good side, I knew Harry couldn't die. Making him a father of three in the end, fulfilled a life's worth of longing for a real family for Harry.

Thanks to my dear friend Christine, (who is now well on her way to Scotland with her family for good) for introducing to me the magical world of Harry Potter.

No comments: